Today, Hurst House is currently privately owned by the Munday family. In 1954 the building was listed by English Heritage as Grade II*. Its formal listing is outlined below.
Description: Hurst House, the Naked Beauty
Date Listed: 20 December 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 204800
No 1 [Hurst House,
“The Naked Beauty”]
TQ 3991 8/1 20.12.54
Early C18 said to be 1714. Reconstructed after a fire in 1937. Two storeys painted stucco, the dressings of carved stone, painted. Hipped pantile roof. Six sash windows with cambered heads (formerly 5). Three major bays (2+2+2 windows) with full height Corinthian pilasters at ends of the elevation and between each pair of windows. Entablature and coped parapet broken forward over the pilasters to support fine carved stone urns. Central carved wooden doorcase of fine quality
with fluted Corinthian pilasters, architrave and carved pulvinated frieze to each pilaster. Carved moulding surrounding the door; architrave swept up in centre into richly carved tympanum of open segmental pediment. Rectangular glazed fanlight with 2 bars; 6 panel door. Single storey one window wings on either side. Garden front is 2 storeys, attic and basement brown brick – largely rebuilt in its former design. Two canted bay windows. Parapet in bays with ramped up ends. Central doorway with pilasters, frieze, cornice and leaded fanlight; steps up to entrance. Interior has panelled entrance hall with good staircase, fluted- and twisted balusters, 3 to each step and ramped rail. In other rooms chimney pieces and decorative fittings designed by Robert Adam. Brought in from Bowood, Wiltshire. They date from the 1760’s. Bowood demolished in 1955. Restored forecourt with mid C18 iron gates. Piers with urn and ball finials. The origin
of the house’s second name is not certainly known. Hurst House is described and illustrated in detail in Part V of the Woodford and District Antiquarian Society’s Proceedings and Transactions.
Listing NGR: TQ3998091332